Sunday, October 28, 2012


RANSOM..... OR BAIL ......

I was in hurry; hurriedly I opened the door and rushed towards corner of my bed in  hostel room. Opps ! Thank god my lappy is safe, oh but where’s sowji 's? I threw all disorganize cloths to a more disorganized way, in a hope to find her laptop buried there. But could not find her lappy.I called her and enquire  in case lappy is with her.
She denied with amazement. And I was numb when concluded that our lappy has been ABDUCTED -SYNONYM KIDNAPPED.

Big oval shaped tears started rolling down sowjee’s tiny little cheek. Within minutes she was out of her TCS building pace down to the road towards hostel. The airtel network went busy as both us were busy figuring out the possible burglar all the way down.Suddenly my CID mind started connecting network.I ran straight to my warden’s den and started questioning her.She amazed with such an FBI act of mine denied any connection in kidnapping. I had a very strong reason for her interrogation.  The day before, as I was pulling key from window anchor (secret place of ours to keep room key) she gave a glance from corner of her eye standing beside, which cropped a suspicion in my CID brain cells for a moment. And don’t know why her glances kept me disturbed the whole day in office. That's the reason why with the first step I inquired for both of our laptops.
Soon my friend reached hostel with swollen eyes and face. Without anymore delay we reached the never before visited place-police station.
All breed of furious faces were gazing us as we walked across the police station corridor. We least bothered of faces went straight to file an FIR. I was expecting the SI will question “did u got any ransom call?’ but was horrified when he asked,”Is she your room mate who was the firstto scene of crime? rotating his pen on its own axis. A stern look with a question, “kahin who chor tum to nahin” stuck upon my face. How long she is been staying with you and how much trust do u both share. What a ridiculous question? Exclaimed! Sowjee. I can never doubt upon my roommates. "Yep" said SI "but her lappy is safe and your got vanished in air? HUMMMMM…"  he pushed a puff of doubt in sowjee’s mind raising his bushy eyebrows.

This was very understandable. Why the robber(s) or say she- robber left my lappy behind? Most probably because the screen was only 14” as compared to sowjee which was 15”? Whatever!! But my lappy was safe because I threw the towel in hurry over it while going to the office that morning. Sometime being disorganized is so advantageous.

Soon we were near to our hostel questioning the Tea seller if he happens to witness anyone with lappy bag or anything suspicious that day. I was using all my CID qualified or says certified brain to resolve the case.” No” was his clam answer," moreover I generally get busy in my work and don’t get time to observe onlooker or passerby" he said unworriedly  tossing  tea circularly between the two glasses, not even giving a questionable look so as to ask BTW what the hell happened?

For the next few days inquiry was on full fledge, we were getting some tiny packets of information which were not relevant  to trace the robber. Police had no clue and it was turning into a blind case for them. We were losing all hopes of finding our 15” blacky back. Our ph nos were registered in police station so as to inform us in case of any progress. One fine day my phone rang. Hello. de da do de caught. That was the only word which was understood by me. It was a call from police to inform that the culprit is under their custody . 
I was alone in my room left mercilessly without any of my telugu translators. Somehow I ended the conversation and immediately gave a ring to vara who was on the way to hostel to speed up and also informed sowjee. Sowjee must have started doing hip hop right in the office after the news but unfortunately was unable to witness the same in the hostel as I was also jumping.

Soon vara came rushing to room with hair falling all over her forehead narrating her velocity value while coming down. Where’s the thief where the thief she asked hastily?? Just behind u stupid? I said at her stupid question. We need to call the police, call them in your language, before I could explain her anything else she was already in call. Soon to my understanding the police had arrested the LADY DON and were approaching towards our hostel.

Within in minutes we could hear sequel of unidentified voice a mixture of both the gender.We rushed to corridor for a single glimp of  lady DON. She was tall with little hair over her oval  head with of course lots of brain underneath those hair.Cunning brain, crooked brain. She was walking straight with handcuff towards us with head held high. All my boasting bravery found nowhere to be found after encountering her."Where’s our long term assets", vara  whispered  to my ear(topper in accounts at her time). dont you dare to use any accounting terms to police I warned vara. When we inquired about our blacky the cop smiled and showed the black dell bag poorly lying as if predicting that it was also soaked with sorrow,drenched in grief, and dissolved in tears after departing from us. I felt like hugging the bag with pleasure and throw that filmy dialogue mere lal mere kale dell wale.

 But the cops told us that we can  recover our items only after going through a legal process which means we had to visit magistrate court and bring orders to release our belongings.

But how did she carry out the whole drama. We were explained by police that she was a one night guest at our hostel. The very next morning she happened to see when sowjee was placing keys at our secret place and left for office. Within no time lady don garbed our blacky and fled.There are more feathers to be added on her cap. On interrogation it was revealed that she is a serial robber and randomly visits ladies hostel in the city now and then and get enriched with some or the other assets but was never caught.
Now the story became more interesting   when the cop narrated us the whole episode that underwent in grabbing the lady don. It started the day when cops traced her working mobile number from hostel database(This part of info was not shared with us earlier). What a blockhead don she was, how can she give her working mobile number?  Now our smart cop didn't arrest her immediatly but master mind a game. One of the cop gave her ring and started talking to her as frd a MISS CALL Frd. She was easily trapped by our cop's sweet and salty talk, most probably planning to rob again

While listening I was imaging as if I am watching another episode of crime petrol in SONY. One find day the cop proposed her for date and asked her to meet him with some of her belongings and invited her for a stay for couple of days. She quite excited and thrilled, reached the planed place with our abducted blacky bag and other accessories.

Meanwhile our warden was informed to arrive too, in order to recognize if the don was the same person to whom she gave room that night. Soon from the mist of busy traffic , lady don paced down towards the cop holding our abducted lappy. Warden recognized the don and there the  don was trapped. For few minutes she was unable to understand what was going on but after the visibility of warden understood that her game is over.
What an idea Sir Ji I thought, We thanked them with full heart and soul.

Soon sowjee gave an ear to the whole story and was startled. Is this happened in real was her remark. Soon we hired a lawyer and within couple of days we were given the date of hearing. That very day we went to court and were standing outside the court room in sun. Just some minutes before of our hearing the lady arrived in police van. we didnt even have a place to sit but don was calmly sitting inside the van under the shade.
 Inside the court room the first question to sowjee  was" young lady can you please tell me what is the telugu version for laptop? from literature dominate judge. Sowjee quite unprepared for the question said something. If you tell me the correct word I will hand over your lappy said the judge with a smile. Now this was disgusting, I felt like not standing in court room but in some 3rd or 5th standard class where teacher is asking me grammar. what a sense of humor I thought The next question was how can you prove the abducted lappy is yours? I know it’s mine or else why should I take such a pain to find it, leaving my work behind and sleep behind said sowjee restlessly. But that was not sufficient for judge and as it is said law always asks proof s rather than logic emotions. But the purchase bill was no longer with sowjee. So the court is adjournd till the bill is produced.... ORDER ORDER. No question to the esteemed DON??
Now this was the ransom what we had to pay for our lappy THE BILL, which was lost somewhere in the darkest corner of our room. Soon we reached the retailer from where the blacky was purchased. But the shopkeeper gave us a cold shoulder saying that its been 3 year and they do not have any duplicate copy of the same. On our continuous request he gave us  two choices, either go empty hand or search by yourself in files. We choose the second and buried our self in their big big files. After some hour Eureka Eureka we could find the bill. And waited for our next hearing.

For the next few days we were running up and down the court. Rightly said tarikh pe tarihk pe tarikh.

At last we produced the bill in the court and with more 2-4 hectic days running up and down to the police station our blacky was finally released from police station with other accessories and arrived home with pride.

As I was walking down I was confused did we gave a ransom or a bail to get our lappy back…….


2 comments: